Wednesday 10 June 2020

Diabetes Week Day 3 - The emotional stuff...

The emotional stuff...

I’ve been diabetic for 35 years in February just gone. 

Based on rough numbers that’s 
๐Ÿ’™49,000 finger pricks 
And
๐Ÿ’™ 30,000 injections 

With that in mind it’s interesting to think about other numbers, although estimating them is impossible! How many hospital appointments? How many diabetes related decisions a day? How many hypos? How many missed events? Lost minutes? Money spent on sugar?

It’s like a full time job. Only it has no holidays and is unpaid and there is no guarantee of performance related results. Which I suppose is why we all occasionally encounter diabetes’s distress, burnout, fatigue...whatever term it is, we get sick of it. It’s the emotional response to having to cope with something huge in addition to day to day life. In some instances it becomes so severe that it starts to become physical. People disengage with care, take risks and stop attending appointments. 

In many cases this distress can be triggered by the response of others to the condition. The response of others can be the most difficult to overcome.  

Recently in a guide there was a list of questions that people with diabetes should be asked at or around diagnosis. I don’t ever remember being asked any of them. Maybe because I’ve had it so long, but some days I think I know how I’d answer each question then other days the answer is totally different! 

Example related to other people - How do you feel about telling others you have diabetes?
 Most days I’m a ‘loud and proud’ kind of person. I’m as happy to talk about it as I am talking about my hair colour or my nail polish. But every so often a trigger memory appears and I start thinking hmmm maybe I don’t say anything this time. Even though I know hiding it will be impossible for long. 

So if you’re reading this and are feeling diabetes distress talk to someone, anyone you trust. It helps. I’m lucky my DSN team are family these days. I have an amazing relationship with them and trust them. I also have my mum who knows everything. If you’re reading this and you know someone who you think is in distress ask them, as gently as possible. Be open to the no, I’m fine and no nothings wrong comments. Ask them is there anything they want to share. Be willing to sit in silence if they need to think. Accept it if they cry or become angry. Don’t think you have all the answers but suggest options. Don’t feel under pressure to fix them immediately. 



#team #TheBigPicture #missingmatt
❤️already met the rest of the team yesterday ❤️




2 comments: