Thursday 11 June 2020

Diabetes week 2020 - Thursday Ramblings...

So today’s post was planned. I was going to do ‘tech talk’. Looking at developments from when I was diagnosed to today. However I wanted to do it with some video links which I haven’t had time to finish. So then after some chatting with others I thought I’d do some ‘practical stuff’. Maybe do a sensor and set change demo BUT tonight’s turned into a bit of a bloody situation so I’ve abandoned that too. So instead I thought I’d ramble and see where I end up. 🤷‍♀️

I’ve had lots of experiences with my diabetes. It’s lead me to meet some amazing people, some of them now my closest friends. 
This amazing lady is  my go to in an emergency, she always knows the right way to sort me out. Whether it’s food, tea or talk she knows the answer. She also knows whether I need a good telling off or someone to listen and smile. Without my diabetes I wouldn’t have met her. The silver lining to a normally stormy cloud ☁️ Thank you for being you. 

My diabetes has landed me in some interesting predicaments and you would think the enhanced technology would make life easier...not always the case. I once terrified a lovely little old lady on Tesco car park. I jumped out of the car and went to run into the shop when I felt a funny sensation in my stomach. It appeared my pump wire had wrapped itself around my car wing mirror and I’d ripped it from my stomach. It must’ve be precariously placed as there was so much blood it was like a horror movie.
On another occasion I slammed the car door shut whilst Kevin planned on waiting in the car, as he went to pull away I realised the pump had got snagged and was still trapped in the door. I actually attempted for three a few seconds to jog alongside the car like a nutter. 

My pump has been washed several times. Not deliberately I should add. It’s Normally clipped on my belt and I have on more than one occasion managed to scoop it into the washing machine, shut the door and press the start button.  I then have to sit there and wait for the door to unlock, well I don’t but I know if I didn’t I’d probably forget it. I’ve also knocked  led it into the bath on several occasions. 

When I had my first pump fitted my dog decided he’d walk off with it in the middle of the night. In a very bizarre manner I ended up following him to the kitchen to retrieve it. 

Hypos are also an adventure. I’ve done so many random things when my BM is low. These random crazy things are not always my fault may I add. Once when I was in the car wash with mother Nulty I said oh no I’m hypo, she replied why don’t you get out and get something? It seemed like a good idea at the time. Fortunately i got a bit wet but not much else. 

The kids love a pre meal hypo. No matter how often I have to tell them to share if  mummy is having sugar we should all share. Although it’s not much to ask when they’ve been in training from birth to deal with it. 




Although life is easier if we smile and try and look for the silver linings I’ve frequently experienced bullying, discrimination and people who I feel should’ve been better. Last year I spent a lot of time reflecting for a DUK think lab and I have decided  to Write the reflection as a separate blog so go now I’ll just pop this here. 

💙 If that’s you ⬆️ no matter who you’ve lost 
it’s never to late to reach out and fix it 💙

No comments:

Post a Comment