Sunday 14 June 2020

Diabetes Week 2020 - Community

Community

In our community you see a pump or libre sensor and straight away gravitate towards that person...

BUT...


This week, as my posts suggest, has been Diabetes week 2020. This week Diabetes UK have worked hard to make sure that even at this difficult time awareness and hope has been spread. For lots of people this has been via social media. In the north of England they’ve even started a page which allows members to chat, share information and stories and generally support each other. 

















This was posted to the North page and offers some interesting information https://www.facebook.com/1808443829390476/posts/2635628633338654/

This made me think about the communities that help me. I have my family community who support me regularly with my diabetes, and my t1 friends. I also have an amazing diabetes team who I think are the most amazing people. They go above and beyond regularly but even during the recent difficulties have continued to support me amazingly. 
Last year,  I had the opportunity to experience events with the wider diabetic community. I was reluctant to do this at first but i found them to be truly enjoyable experiences. 
Firstly I attended a Change Lab which focused on emotional health and diabetes. This was reflective as it started off with those of us with diabetes writing a reflective journey, (I’m typing this as a separate post). 
This lab was a collaboration of DUK, patients and many other professionals. It’s also one that will hopefully see some changes for the better in our communities. 

Following the change lab I was invited to the St Helens Diabetes User Group meetings. This group looks for opportunities to improve care and communication in our local area and again it’s a great opportunity to meet different people.  

 


The communities that I’ve experienced in relation to both my care and local developments/initiatives are so important as they make us realise that we’re not alone and together we can make the best of this situation. 


1 comment:

  1. Good job Heather !!! I am only following your blog this week, so i am unfamiliar with how many out of the UK are blogging this week. I would like join next year. Perhaps you could drop me a note so I can get on the list. We no longer run DBlog week in the US but I do enjoy writing them as i think many on this side of the Atlantic do as well.

    ReplyDelete