Monday 8 June 2020

Diabetes Week 2020 - The Big Picture

The Big Picture

The more I think about that phrase The Big Picture’ the more I wonder what we incorporate into it? I mean my diabetes manages to wander its way into every area of my life, it’s like a tiny person that I carry around. It requires frequent attention and to be honest can go from behaving like a well mannered and self respecting adult to a toddler whose been handed the wrong cup in seconds. So today I thought I’d let you see my daily diabetes drills. 

Let’s start at midnight - the beginning (technically) of a brand new day. If I’m lucky I’m snoozing but  throughout the night my lovely Miao Miao is tracking my blood sugars. It traces whether they’re going up or down and how quickly they’re changing. Should there be a sudden change it if they dip below 5 my phone starts singing.  That’s why if you ring or text me in the night I’ll probably see it. I don’t guarantee a reply but I’ll see it. 

At about 3am I’ll wake and scan my arm yo update my libre sensor. This has to be done frequently and at least eight hourly to update the graph otherwise there’s an interruption in data. When I wake up at 7am I scan my arm again, check the data from my Miao Miao is correct via finger prick and that its calibrated and passing to my watch correctly. 

Breakfast - quick pre meal arm scan, eat, carb count, work out insulin based on BM numbers and carb ratio. Put it in the pump, internal debate about what kind of bolus will suit the day, press the button. 

1030am pump beeps to remind me to arm scan, quick prayer that it’s in the green lines.

Lunchtime - on a prepared day I have a good lunch which I’ve Pre carb counted for so I do a quick arm scan and eat then bolus and I’m done. Most days I grab whatever I can in between juggling everything else, work out the carbs roughly, scan and go for a roundabout bolus hoping I’m in the right area with type of bolus. 

Mid afternoon quick arm scan on a couple of occasions, if it’s in the lines I carry on if it’s rising Or falling rapidly I get a lovely arrow just to confirm the urgency. If the arrow pops up quick check is necessary with a finger prick check. 

Tea time same as breakfast and lunch. Arm scan, eat, bolus, internal debate about corrections and bolus options. 

Bed, quick scan, debate whether any adjustments are needed, make adjustments. Sleep. 

Wake at midnight panicking to scan arm. 

Repeat. 

Now this seems ok, right? Quite straight forward? But additionally every 14 days I have to change libre sensor in arm. Every three days my pump needs filling and the set and cannula need changing. BM kit needs charging frequently. Back up meds need ordering and storing appropriately. And the pump battery is only ever flat as you’re about to close your eyes to sleep. 

The graphs - 





So these are the beautiful creations from the libre. They very kindly highlight lows in red again just to confirm the urgency of the situation. 

So what causes rapid changes? 
Let’s just make a list 

đź’™Exercise
đź’™Wrong bolus
đź’™Wrong food
đź’™Stress
đź’™Missed meals 
đź’™Missed bolus
đź’™Hormones
đź’™Medication 
đź’™Illness

So there it is, my diabetes day. 

A dear friend once featured in a video about the “little black bag” which is something diabetics couldn’t have because of all the supplies we had. As the tech gets smaller and more efficient I do wonder if the “emotional bag” is getting bigger...diabetes and emotional health, a story for another day đź’™







1 comment:

  1. Darn, that seems like a lot. :) I think if we multiply this by the 1.5 million t1's in the US we would get a rough idea of how much diabetes cots us each day. A lot. indeed.

    ReplyDelete