Tuesday 9 June 2020

Diabetes Week 2020 - The Hypo

Hypo Vs Hyper 

So I thought maybe after referencing fluctuating BMs yesterday it would be useful to address what the Lows & Highs are like, how they feel and the impact they have. 

Hypo - when a BM is lower than it should be. Now there are set guidelines for this but I think it’s important that I point out that it’s often important to set our own guidelines. For me a BM lower than 5 is hypo as I start to feel awful at this number. Hypos for me are horrible because you need a sugar or glucose intake. The glucose gel and tablets make me gag they’re awful (in my opinion). I also struggle with sweets as I don’t like them. The general go to therefore is Coke or Lucozade. The next problem is how much? Again their are guidelines on how much but measuring out how much you need when you’re low is a nightmare so often it’s a guess. When you’ve had your dose you then have to wait it out to see if it comes up or whether you need a second dose. I find ‘the wait’ really hard. I often react to quickly or over react and then end up in the other direction. 

The feeling of a hypo is varied. Quite often it’s like trying to emotionally and mentally wade through fog to the right destination. I know what I should be doing and how but it sits just on the edge of my mind. Sometimes it’s like a dreadful hangover, I’m confused, have a splitting headache and just want to sleep. 

The hypers are the other way - too high. Again there are guidelines for this but I think people experience their own high levels. At present over 12 and I feel high. This needs correcting. At this side we use insulin to reduce the BM and patients are given a correction dose by their own medical team. 

Being Hyper is different to hypo. It makes you confused, thirsty needing the bathroom every ten minutes! Can cause headaches, sickness and tiredness. The scariest part about being hyper is the potential for ketones developing. They make everything that bit more serious. 

The thing that really sucks about both of these is the impact they have. When they occur quite often we have to pause life. We need to BM; treat and allow the treatment to take effect. No matter what you might be doing. This can be a disaster in the workplace. People are less understanding (more about that later). But even in day to day life it can be hard. We frequently have to pause games to deal with mummy’s numbers. Although we have an extra warning system as my furry friend is ankk ok e to sniff a hypo. 

I’m also lucky, my team have pretty much grown up with it. To them pausing our football game for mummy juice is completely normal. They even come for a cuddle whilst we wait for movement. I’m lucky as I have the best team and because hypos/hypers can and do come out of nowhere. 

My other current ‘live in’ team member took the photo 


Probably some bits I’ve missed but that’s the gist. 

No comments:

Post a Comment