Sunday 14 November 2021

Diabetes Day…if you’re not part of the solution…

November 14th marks world diabetes day. 


This year is a huge year in terms of recognising how far research and technology have come. 100 years of people being able to be treated…seems like a long time ago yet it’s not, really. 


In such a small space of time technology has managed to find new ways of delivering insulin, testing blood sugars and supporting patient needs. 

What’s not come a long way is society. Now I’m not blaming everyone but there’s a small contingent of people who need educating. Let me tell you, in my experience, some of them are diabetics themselves. They are so badly managed or so poorly understand their condition that they've no idea what they’re contributing too.  Maybe they’re too stupid to care, I don’t know. 

Then there’s the “know it alls”! My nans cats sisters dogs owner was diabetic so I know everything types. Again, often it’s those who should know better who are the main perpetrators. Sometimes they’re “medical professionals” who have a little knowledge. I’ve been told by occupational health advisors to “take an extra shot of insulin when you’re low”…often I wonder if they want me to ring 999 myself first or hope someone else does it. 

Then there’s the bully’s. The trolls. People who just want to hurt you. 

The final group, those who say nothing. The people who hear; read or see actions that need to be challenged. Actions that should be challenged. Yet they stay silent. These are the ones I find most annoying. By saying nothing you’re accepting that behaviour. You’re saying yes that’s ok by me. You’d think these people would be weak people and maybe they are in some ways. The people who let us down the most, in my opinion, are these people. 

These negative people have appeared so often in my life.  Yet you never fail to be shocked by who they are. I’d love them to not only walk a mile in my shoes but spend a day inside my head…!! The maths we do daily is madness. 


It’s like having a million browsers open, whilst trying to safe break using instructions in a foreign language and listening to baby shark on repeat - some days!! 

So yes in my opinion what needs to come a long way is people. 

BUT, Not one to finish one a downer let’s celebrate the good members of our community. In no particular order…


The gorgeous folks in this group. Honestly they are all fab but some of them just feel like they’re family! These are the people awake in the middle of the night sharing your confusion, exhaustion and desire to rage bolus from goodness knows how far away. 


These two monkeys - who can find a bottle of “mummy juice” at a moments notice. Who know when I’m cranky because I’m low and who can both assist with libre scanning and pod changing ♥️ They are my heroes. 




This one! He wakes up in the middle of the night, puts up with my rages and makes sure I’m ok when I fall asleep in a hypo heap. 


My Dad, who refused point blank many years ago to inject an orange and has since had unwavering faith that I can do anything. 


The pup. He can sniff a hypo from a good distance and more importantly he can sniff it from as deep sleep. He is my companion every day and a complete superstar. 

I’m going to add in here my brother and sister who I doubt would thank me for posting photos of them. They know when I need a reality check and when I need a hug in lots of instances before I do. They take the hypo rages and although we fight it out, lots, stick by me when I need them. And our lovely Matt who always seems to be on hand when I hit the deck (lots in pregnancy) and who makes some of the best post hypo brew and biscuits. 

I’m going to mention those friends who are either part of our community or who have been so amazing and have supported me in any way. To the friends who I can pick up with where I left of last week, month or year and who understand when I’m not up to things. 

Lastly, my mum. She is, without doubt my rock. The person I ring at all hours. The one who drives me to appointments and holds my hand. Who minds the kinds when I shattered and who sits on every sports sideline with me cheering on the kids. She also drives us to all these events when we need her. She might be totally crazy but she’s my kind of crazy ♥️


 

So to the type one community I hope you’ve had a controlled WDD, to the positive influences thank you and to the negatives…well let’s hope you improve. 🤷🏼‍♀️

1 comment:

  1. I will take your blog as meaning I am a positive type person. I mean sort of positive, at least. I love your blog, as I experience similar personalities. I also wish them all well. Just as I hope they wish me well............rick

    ReplyDelete